I am going to ask you a question that will surely raise the hackles of many fellow bloggers.
You may not think you are being ruled by a commentary but let me ask you a few questions.
- When you are unclear as to the meaning of a text, do you automatically skim to the notes for an interpretation?
- Must you check each doctrinal point you believe with what your favorite commentator has written. If there are differences, do you give up what you believe simply because you are inferior in education?
- Do you tend to quote a preacher, commentator, etc, often when either discussing theology, or preaching from the pulpit. Do you let commentators have the final say over the "sticky" texts?
- Can you from scripture alone, make a convincing argument for the doctrines you believe and hold to be true?
- Do you find your faith and convictions shaken when you read that some famous preacher believes otherwise than you on certain passages of scripture?
As always, your thoughts are most welcome.