Friday, January 13, 2006

Are You Saved...?

There has been a debate raging now for some time in the Blogosphere. It seems to me that certain parties are attempting to dismantle the "sound theology" of the Calvinistic doctrine. The particulars of this debate revolve around the means of salvation and whether or not the same carries any guarantees from scripture. In other words, can you know for sure that you are saved, without any doubts or hesitations.

So, I would like to ask all of you in Blogdom, especially those of the reformed persuasion to set the record straight once and for all.

Are you saved, yes or no? Please give a detailed explanation from scripture on why you believe you are, or are not.

I look forward to hearing some lucid, convincing and solid answers.

6 comments:

Theteak said...

Yes, I'm saved, chosen at the beginning of time. Ephesians 1:1ff, Romans 9:14ff
BTW I like your blog.

Jim said...

Thanks for the comments Teak. Nice to hear from a fellow commonwealther.

Matthew Celestine said...

Theteak, if Jim does not mind my saying, I am not sure that you have answered his question.

Jim asked for a detailed explanation of why you think you are saved.

You have affirmed that some are chosen at the beginning of time, but what makes you think that you are among that number?

I know I am saved because I believe that Jesus Christ is Lord and that He was crucified for my sin and that He is risen (John 3:18).

Forgive me Jim if this comment is presumptuous.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

Jim said...

Matthew, thanks for your comments. I would love to hear a detailed (and yet succinct) explanation of people's reasons for knowing they have eternal life.

It seems hard for some to give an affirmative answer to this question.

Blessings to you brother,

Jim

Antonio said...

jim, when I get around to it, you will have a link on my blog...

grace to you!

Antonio

I am saved because Jesus guaranteed me eternal life when I believed in Him for it. I am convinced that Jesus is the guarantor of eternal life to the believer in Him for it. I am thuse assured a certain and absolute assurance of present possession of eternal life.

Antonio

Jim said...

Antonio,

I am honoured to be considered worthy of a link.

Yes, we can know beyond the shadow of a doubt that we have salvation in Christ. Praise the Lord, our God is not the father of doubt and confusion.